27 February 2012

A Start

Today I finally got down to some actual dyeing. I must admit I was quite unprepared for all the preparations I needed to do before I could start my dyecation (dyeing + vacation). I still have a few things I need to get before I can start on the big project, but I did do a warm-up exercise today.

I've had some Emo Tutotanto liquid fibre reactive dyes (a Finnish brand) in my stash for a while, and I've been suspecting that the're well past their use-by date. So I decided to put them to the test. I chose the darkest colour, navy blue, and mixed a very dark value, which I hope will help me decide whether the pigments are destined for the bin or not. Keep your fingers crossed!

Preparations: scrunched-up, folded, twisted and soy wax printed fabric


Dyed fabric batching


The fabric in the foreground was printed with un-thickened dye, just to see what would happen, but I'm not too sure it's going to work. The dye has spread quite a bit already, obscuring the printed flowers. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like tomorrow. Everything is batching at the moment so I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I know whether the dye worked or not.

Thanks for dropping by, and do return soon for more reports from my dyecation. - Annika

No comments:

Post a Comment