17 April 2012

Polka Dotty

It's been a bit quiet in Blogland lately, but I'm very happy to say that I'm on vacation again, so there should be more activity here within soon. You probably won't be surprised if I say that I have big plans, and I expect I will have time to accomplish only a fraction of what I want to do.

So, what do I want to do? I want to do another gradation, with a warm colour scheme this time, and I want to do some surface design on the fabrics that I dyed during my last dyecation. I'm also planning to sew a wrap around top with a stencilled and embroidered appliqué motif on the back. So stay tuned for reports about fun and games.

Meanwhile, I'll just share a couple of photos to show that I may have been quiet, but I haven't been idle. Here's a supercute bag I finished yesterday. (I blogged about it earlier when I'd finished the first outside pocket.) As soon as I saw the pattern in the Winter 2011-2012 issue of International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene magazine I knew I had to make it. I bought the polka dot fabric in December, but haven't got round to sewing it until now. It's such a summery bag, isn't it? It makes me think of strawberries and cream. Yum!


You're not going to believe this, but this is a recently finished vest that I last blogged about exactly one year ago today, when I had just started knitting it. I discovered this right now when I was looking through my archive to see when I wrote about it. Funny coincidence, isn't it?


Okey dokey, better get back to copying the pattern for the top I plan to sew. I'm going to do things right this time and make a muslin version first, to make sure the fit is correct before I cut into the real fabric. I haven't been very good with that kind of thing in the past, but I realise that it is a crucial step if you want to be sure of success. I want to brush up and hone my clothes making skills, which have rusted a little from lack of use.


Thanks for stopping by! Have a great week, and please return soon for an update on my new dyeing, surface design and garment sewing explorations. - Annika

2 comments:

  1. Happy Vacation! I think your bag is so much fun and it does scream summer, but I thought of watermelon and hot summer days. I hate to make a muslin for clothing, but I have learned the hardway that it is an important step. Have a fun time on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannie! It's been a slow start so far, but that's probably just what my body and mind needed to catch up. But I feel I'm getting ready to kick off with surface design now. :)

      Delete